Video games and violence

A place to discuss deeper topics

Moderator: Moderators

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted
Posts: 7747
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:19 pm
Location: Home of the Sioux!
Contact:

Video games and violence

Post by cutthecashflow »

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/7242 ... 080000.htm

Feel free to move this as needed, I just wanted to see if anyone had any opposing viewpoints.

Quite disturbing actually.

Any other personal comments?
Get busy living or get busy dying.
User avatar
Dr. Greenthumb
Stoned Immaculate
Stoned Immaculate
Posts: 8112
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:17 pm
Contact:

Post by Dr. Greenthumb »

I dont think video games cause violence, I it is a cop out answer to give. These kids were seriously disturbed if they were teenagers and acted out violence from a game. Just because they used the same moves from Mortal Combat doesnt mean the game made them do it.

I wouldnt be able to tell you wether I think they deserve the death penalty without hearing their testimony but video games arent to blame here stupid kids and bad parenting is the problem.
“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”
-Charlie Kelly
weedguru tom
← i ♥ weed →
←  i ♥ weed  →
Posts: 7448
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:11 pm
Contact:

Post by weedguru tom »

these games have age limits, where did 13 - 14 year olds get that game from ? i also blame bad parenting if any. sorry to end this ona bad note, but the problem will never get btter, it will get worse, worse parenting,.
User avatar
Slim_Joules
Casual toker
Casual toker
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:09 am
Contact:

Post by Slim_Joules »

dem boys must be seriously tappe in the head to kill someone cus they saw it in a game. games dont make people kill phsycosis does
Yeah Boi
Darth Inhaler
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:58 am
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Post by Darth Inhaler »

What and watching a movie about WWII doesn't invoke violence? You can't blame this on video games, the video game was just an idea, bad parenting and alcohol made the kids do what they did.
I think drugs have done some good things for us, and if you don't believe me, do me a favor. Go home tonight and burn all your albums, tapes, and cd's. Because the musicians who made all that great music...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal fucking high on drugs.
User avatar
Dr. Greenthumb
Stoned Immaculate
Stoned Immaculate
Posts: 8112
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:17 pm
Contact:

Post by Dr. Greenthumb »

I didnt read anything in the article about alcohol. :?:
“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”
-Charlie Kelly
Eugene
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1245
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:32 pm
Location: Gettin Silly in Philly
Contact:

Post by Eugene »

I HATE WHEN PEOPLE BLAME OTHER THINGS CAUSE THEIR KIDS ARE FUCKED UP IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!

They obviously wanted to fuck this kid up to start, so they thought they'd have fun with it and use shit they saw in a video game. The game, while violent, doesn't encourage it. I hate society, they blame everything on the wrong things. A kid goes out, shoots people, they blame it on Grand Theft Auto. NOT the fact that the kid was able to get a gun, and somehow his parents never knew. IT'S A FUCKING PARENTING PROBLEM. GOD DAMMIT THIS REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS haha
[size=150]Lets hug it out, bitch.[/size]
farmacyst
Casual toker
Casual toker
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: London, England
Contact:

Post by farmacyst »

I think music, videogames, movies, the media and radio all have as significant part as each other to play when talking about influencing children and their behaviours........
"Viva La Revolucion" - Che Guevara

"The World Is Yours" - Scarface
AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 4340
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 am
Location: Sarnia
Contact:

Post by AbbyRoad »

people have a right to play these games if they want to. and only a mind that has trouble seeing the diffference between reality and fiction will actually act on violent impulses. when they are from a video game.
Image
csem-it
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:47 pm
Location: England - UK
Contact:

Post by csem-it »

I love violent video games and always have done. I have never found a game that has ever grossed me out and all this time I have never been inspired to kill anyone.

The violent games I have played to the end that I can think of are:

Postal
Postal 2 + Apocolypse Weekend
All the GTA's except Liberty City shit (That includes all the birds-eye one's)
All the Doom's
Both True Crime's
Counterstrike since '99
Both Carmageddon's
Return To CAstle Wolfenstien
Manhunt
Resident evil 1,2,3 + gamecube version on No 1
Blood 1 and 2


To name a few, if you can think of any others that I have missed then I would love to know cuz I want to play it!
whoo_hoo_jimny
Casual toker
Casual toker
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:58 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
Contact:

Post by whoo_hoo_jimny »

im 18 and played violent video games since i was about 12, how come i never killed anyone or tried to hack em up with a chainsaw n burn their parents with petrol bombs? obviously its just the reported kids that are fucked up. damn governments tryin to make an issue out of nothin again
I might like you better if we slept together
whoo_hoo_jimny
Casual toker
Casual toker
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:58 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
Contact:

Post by whoo_hoo_jimny »

well not nothin but u kno what i mean
I might like you better if we slept together
farmacyst
Casual toker
Casual toker
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: London, England
Contact:

Post by farmacyst »

everyones different and different ppl r suseptible to influence more than others.
"Viva La Revolucion" - Che Guevara

"The World Is Yours" - Scarface
Weedguru_Falkon
King of Kannabis, God of Ganja
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:59 am
Location: Stoned Soliloquy
Contact:

Post by Weedguru_Falkon »

Violence and the media. It's been a controversial issue for a long goddamn time... Personally, i think its shit.
(this particular story involves music, not video games)
A few years back, my parents claimed that i left a CD playing in our home stereo downstairsone day when a friend was over. We had gone out to chill, and when i came back they told me i was grounded because the CD i had left on. I didn't, in fact, leave the CD on, they just used that excuse. (the CD by the way was The Distillers: Coral Fang.) So them and i had a conversation about it for a while.. more like an argument, whereas i tried to get my damn CD back from their oppressive hands.
Well, it all ended when they decided to take me to a psychologist about it. After hearing both sides of the story, my psychologist told me that what they did was rediculous, taking away a CD from me because of the lyrics.

Anyway, I think, on the video game level, its like many other things in life. For example.
My parents caught my friend and i getting drunk off my dads alcohol one time (they found out a month or two later). My dad had a decent conversation with me about how i shouldnt drink, and especially not from his liquor. So i never drank from his liquor again (though i have gotten drunk many times since then)
2nd example. My parents had a strict rule that i couldnt play any violent video games, and absolutely no 'M' rated video games were to be in their house. They confiscated a few, and got real pissed about it... well, i kept bringin them and buying them, and they just kept being bitches about it.



So, bottom line and point of stories:
If you overcontrol your kids, they're gonna do something behind your back, no matter how hard you try to stop them. If you dont give a shit about your kids, they're gonna get into deep shit, and become bigoting icons in society. If you talk to your kids nicely, and have a good conversation with them about what they shouldnt do, and why, they will be much less likely to do something stupid, dangerous, or downright ugly.
Image
Ikku wrote:I personally don't find it to taste plasticy, I think it tastes good. Like fractally flowery hyperspace.
csem-it
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:47 pm
Location: England - UK
Contact:

Post by csem-it »

Long Story short.......

Give a sane person a violent video game and he/she will either play on it and not be affected or refuse to play it. A normal every day person would not go from 'I'm quite happy with my life, this world and everything in it.' to 'I wanna kill my parents and hang myself with their intestine’s' because they played a game like Doom 3, Postal 2 or Manhunt!

Give an 'unbalanced' person a violent video game and he/she will play on it and MAYBE go from thinking 'Everyone in the world hates me and I hate them, the walls are closing in on me and I cant breath' to 'Ahhhh, the person in the game makes their troubles go away by killing people they don’t like, that's what I'll do!'
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users