Video games and violence
Moderator: Moderators
-
cutthecashflow
- Intellecutally Wasted

- Posts: 7747
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:19 pm
- Location: Home of the Sioux!
- Contact:
Video games and violence
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/7242 ... 080000.htm
Feel free to move this as needed, I just wanted to see if anyone had any opposing viewpoints.
Quite disturbing actually.
Any other personal comments?
Feel free to move this as needed, I just wanted to see if anyone had any opposing viewpoints.
Quite disturbing actually.
Any other personal comments?
Get busy living or get busy dying.
- Dr. Greenthumb
- Stoned Immaculate

- Posts: 8112
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:17 pm
- Contact:
I dont think video games cause violence, I it is a cop out answer to give. These kids were seriously disturbed if they were teenagers and acted out violence from a game. Just because they used the same moves from Mortal Combat doesnt mean the game made them do it.
I wouldnt be able to tell you wether I think they deserve the death penalty without hearing their testimony but video games arent to blame here stupid kids and bad parenting is the problem.
I wouldnt be able to tell you wether I think they deserve the death penalty without hearing their testimony but video games arent to blame here stupid kids and bad parenting is the problem.
“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”
-Charlie Kelly
-Charlie Kelly
-
weedguru tom
- ← i ♥ weed →

- Posts: 7448
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:11 pm
- Contact:
- Slim_Joules
- Casual toker

- Posts: 26
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:09 am
- Contact:
-
Darth Inhaler
- Bonghead

- Posts: 454
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:58 am
- Location: Connecticut
- Contact:
What and watching a movie about WWII doesn't invoke violence? You can't blame this on video games, the video game was just an idea, bad parenting and alcohol made the kids do what they did.
I think drugs have done some good things for us, and if you don't believe me, do me a favor. Go home tonight and burn all your albums, tapes, and cd's. Because the musicians who made all that great music...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal fucking high on drugs.
- Dr. Greenthumb
- Stoned Immaculate

- Posts: 8112
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:17 pm
- Contact:
-
Eugene
- The Duke of Dope

- Posts: 1245
- Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:32 pm
- Location: Gettin Silly in Philly
- Contact:
I HATE WHEN PEOPLE BLAME OTHER THINGS CAUSE THEIR KIDS ARE FUCKED UP IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
They obviously wanted to fuck this kid up to start, so they thought they'd have fun with it and use shit they saw in a video game. The game, while violent, doesn't encourage it. I hate society, they blame everything on the wrong things. A kid goes out, shoots people, they blame it on Grand Theft Auto. NOT the fact that the kid was able to get a gun, and somehow his parents never knew. IT'S A FUCKING PARENTING PROBLEM. GOD DAMMIT THIS REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS haha
They obviously wanted to fuck this kid up to start, so they thought they'd have fun with it and use shit they saw in a video game. The game, while violent, doesn't encourage it. I hate society, they blame everything on the wrong things. A kid goes out, shoots people, they blame it on Grand Theft Auto. NOT the fact that the kid was able to get a gun, and somehow his parents never knew. IT'S A FUCKING PARENTING PROBLEM. GOD DAMMIT THIS REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS haha
[size=150]Lets hug it out, bitch.[/size]
-
farmacyst
- Casual toker

- Posts: 52
- Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:58 pm
- Location: London, England
- Contact:
-
AbbyRoad
- Ganja God

- Posts: 4340
- Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 am
- Location: Sarnia
- Contact:
-
csem-it
- Bonghead

- Posts: 115
- Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:47 pm
- Location: England - UK
- Contact:
I love violent video games and always have done. I have never found a game that has ever grossed me out and all this time I have never been inspired to kill anyone.
The violent games I have played to the end that I can think of are:
Postal
Postal 2 + Apocolypse Weekend
All the GTA's except Liberty City shit (That includes all the birds-eye one's)
All the Doom's
Both True Crime's
Counterstrike since '99
Both Carmageddon's
Return To CAstle Wolfenstien
Manhunt
Resident evil 1,2,3 + gamecube version on No 1
Blood 1 and 2
To name a few, if you can think of any others that I have missed then I would love to know cuz I want to play it!
The violent games I have played to the end that I can think of are:
Postal
Postal 2 + Apocolypse Weekend
All the GTA's except Liberty City shit (That includes all the birds-eye one's)
All the Doom's
Both True Crime's
Counterstrike since '99
Both Carmageddon's
Return To CAstle Wolfenstien
Manhunt
Resident evil 1,2,3 + gamecube version on No 1
Blood 1 and 2
To name a few, if you can think of any others that I have missed then I would love to know cuz I want to play it!
-
whoo_hoo_jimny
- Casual toker

- Posts: 49
- Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:58 am
- Location: Sheffield, UK
- Contact:
im 18 and played violent video games since i was about 12, how come i never killed anyone or tried to hack em up with a chainsaw n burn their parents with petrol bombs? obviously its just the reported kids that are fucked up. damn governments tryin to make an issue out of nothin again
I might like you better if we slept together
-
whoo_hoo_jimny
- Casual toker

- Posts: 49
- Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:58 am
- Location: Sheffield, UK
- Contact:
-
farmacyst
- Casual toker

- Posts: 52
- Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:58 pm
- Location: London, England
- Contact:
-
Weedguru_Falkon
- King of Kannabis, God of Ganja
- Posts: 1690
- Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:59 am
- Location: Stoned Soliloquy
- Contact:
Violence and the media. It's been a controversial issue for a long goddamn time... Personally, i think its shit.
(this particular story involves music, not video games)
A few years back, my parents claimed that i left a CD playing in our home stereo downstairsone day when a friend was over. We had gone out to chill, and when i came back they told me i was grounded because the CD i had left on. I didn't, in fact, leave the CD on, they just used that excuse. (the CD by the way was The Distillers: Coral Fang.) So them and i had a conversation about it for a while.. more like an argument, whereas i tried to get my damn CD back from their oppressive hands.
Well, it all ended when they decided to take me to a psychologist about it. After hearing both sides of the story, my psychologist told me that what they did was rediculous, taking away a CD from me because of the lyrics.
Anyway, I think, on the video game level, its like many other things in life. For example.
My parents caught my friend and i getting drunk off my dads alcohol one time (they found out a month or two later). My dad had a decent conversation with me about how i shouldnt drink, and especially not from his liquor. So i never drank from his liquor again (though i have gotten drunk many times since then)
2nd example. My parents had a strict rule that i couldnt play any violent video games, and absolutely no 'M' rated video games were to be in their house. They confiscated a few, and got real pissed about it... well, i kept bringin them and buying them, and they just kept being bitches about it.
So, bottom line and point of stories:
If you overcontrol your kids, they're gonna do something behind your back, no matter how hard you try to stop them. If you dont give a shit about your kids, they're gonna get into deep shit, and become bigoting icons in society. If you talk to your kids nicely, and have a good conversation with them about what they shouldnt do, and why, they will be much less likely to do something stupid, dangerous, or downright ugly.
(this particular story involves music, not video games)
A few years back, my parents claimed that i left a CD playing in our home stereo downstairsone day when a friend was over. We had gone out to chill, and when i came back they told me i was grounded because the CD i had left on. I didn't, in fact, leave the CD on, they just used that excuse. (the CD by the way was The Distillers: Coral Fang.) So them and i had a conversation about it for a while.. more like an argument, whereas i tried to get my damn CD back from their oppressive hands.
Well, it all ended when they decided to take me to a psychologist about it. After hearing both sides of the story, my psychologist told me that what they did was rediculous, taking away a CD from me because of the lyrics.
Anyway, I think, on the video game level, its like many other things in life. For example.
My parents caught my friend and i getting drunk off my dads alcohol one time (they found out a month or two later). My dad had a decent conversation with me about how i shouldnt drink, and especially not from his liquor. So i never drank from his liquor again (though i have gotten drunk many times since then)
2nd example. My parents had a strict rule that i couldnt play any violent video games, and absolutely no 'M' rated video games were to be in their house. They confiscated a few, and got real pissed about it... well, i kept bringin them and buying them, and they just kept being bitches about it.
So, bottom line and point of stories:
If you overcontrol your kids, they're gonna do something behind your back, no matter how hard you try to stop them. If you dont give a shit about your kids, they're gonna get into deep shit, and become bigoting icons in society. If you talk to your kids nicely, and have a good conversation with them about what they shouldnt do, and why, they will be much less likely to do something stupid, dangerous, or downright ugly.
Ikku wrote:I personally don't find it to taste plasticy, I think it tastes good. Like fractally flowery hyperspace.
-
csem-it
- Bonghead

- Posts: 115
- Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:47 pm
- Location: England - UK
- Contact:
Long Story short.......
Give a sane person a violent video game and he/she will either play on it and not be affected or refuse to play it. A normal every day person would not go from 'I'm quite happy with my life, this world and everything in it.' to 'I wanna kill my parents and hang myself with their intestine’s' because they played a game like Doom 3, Postal 2 or Manhunt!
Give an 'unbalanced' person a violent video game and he/she will play on it and MAYBE go from thinking 'Everyone in the world hates me and I hate them, the walls are closing in on me and I cant breath' to 'Ahhhh, the person in the game makes their troubles go away by killing people they don’t like, that's what I'll do!'
Give a sane person a violent video game and he/she will either play on it and not be affected or refuse to play it. A normal every day person would not go from 'I'm quite happy with my life, this world and everything in it.' to 'I wanna kill my parents and hang myself with their intestine’s' because they played a game like Doom 3, Postal 2 or Manhunt!
Give an 'unbalanced' person a violent video game and he/she will play on it and MAYBE go from thinking 'Everyone in the world hates me and I hate them, the walls are closing in on me and I cant breath' to 'Ahhhh, the person in the game makes their troubles go away by killing people they don’t like, that's what I'll do!'
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users
