http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealt ... alth/23434
Everything is leaning towards fucking communism in my opinion.....
By Kristina Fiore, Staff Writer, MedPage Today
Published: November 16, 2010
The FDA will effectively ban the sale of beverages that combine caffeine and alcohol, including Four Loko and Joose, by ruling that caffeine is an unsafe food additive to alcoholic beverages, according to Senator Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.).
In a press release, the senator also announced that the Federal Trade Commission will notify manufacturers that they're potentially marketing the products illegally.
A spokesperson for the FDA would not confirm the release, adding that the agency announced a review of the products in November 2009. She could not comment on a projected date for completion of the review.
Schumer said in the release that the ruling, when it occurs, "should be the nail in the coffin of these dangerous toxic drinks."
On Monday, Connecticut Attorney General and the state's senator-elect Richard Blumenthal sent a letter to FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg, MD, calling for the ban of the energy drinks.
And this week, the New York liquor authority and the state's largest beer distributors agreed to stop selling the drinks, according to the release. Oklahoma, Utah, Michigan, and Washington enacted similar bans on Four Loko after college students had fallen ill or died after drinking it.
For instance, an 18-year-old Long Island resident, Nicole Lynn Celestino, allegedly died in August of cardiac arrest after drinking four cans of Four Loko on top of a diet pill she had taken earlier in the day.
And the family of 20-year-old Jason Keiran of Florida is suing the drink maker over claims that it caused him to behave so erratically that he shot himself.
Four Loko contains 12% alcohol by volume, and is sold in 23.5-ounce cans.
According to a report in Monday's New York Times, the FDA could act as early as Wednesday.
This article was developed in collaboration with ABC News.
FDA Will Ban Alcoholic Energy Drinks, Sen. Says
Moderator: Moderators
-
cutthecashflow
- Intellecutally Wasted

- Posts: 7747
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:19 pm
- Location: Home of the Sioux!
- Contact:
FDA Will Ban Alcoholic Energy Drinks, Sen. Says
Get busy living or get busy dying.
-
andriaSRH
- s†☼nër bi†ch

- Posts: 6299
- Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:43 am
- Location: welcome to the midwest
- Contact:
Re: FDA Will Ban Alcoholic Energy Drinks, Sen. Says
I'm on the fence about this. It seems kinda..I don't know..fucked up that they ban CERTAIN alcoholic beverages but not all.
What about the man who beats his wife after drinking?
Or the teen who kills a family of four while drunk driving?
:/
What about the man who beats his wife after drinking?
Or the teen who kills a family of four while drunk driving?
:/
Last edited by andriaSRH on Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
JokersAce
- The Duke of Dope

- Posts: 1388
- Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:00 am
- Contact:
Re: FDA Will Ban Alcoholic Energy Drinks, Sen. Says
Once again the government is limiting our freedoms based on the idiocies of a few isolated cases. I'm amazed at how one girl could drink four Four Loks, she should at least win a post-humous Darwin Award.
I personally like the drinks, a lot of them taste good and the mix of caffeine and alcohol is a high on its own. The only bad experiences I have had were stomach aches which did occur often but it is the same effect I would have if I were to consume a large amount of caffeine from coffee or normal energy drinks.
As Andria mentioned regarding the banning of certain drinks and not others, I think it's a double standard how one can not purchase a mix of two drugs together but can purchase them both seperately (i.e., not buying a Joose but a 40 oz and an energy drink). The only regulation I think should be put in place is a sort of informational label like Redline energy drinks has and specific information regarding its caffeine content.
As Andria mentioned regarding the banning of certain drinks and not others, I think it's a double standard how one can not purchase a mix of two drugs together but can purchase them both seperately (i.e., not buying a Joose but a 40 oz and an energy drink). The only regulation I think should be put in place is a sort of informational label like Redline energy drinks has and specific information regarding its caffeine content.
When the going gets weird, the werid turn pro.
HOW CAN SO MANY YEARS COME TO PASS WITHOUT ANYONE TELLING ME I SPELLED WEIRD WRONG?
HOW CAN SO MANY YEARS COME TO PASS WITHOUT ANYONE TELLING ME I SPELLED WEIRD WRONG?
-
wgToonces
- Sir Toke-a-lot

- Posts: 2777
- Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 8:57 am
- Location: Glasgow, Scotland
- Contact:
Re: FDA Will Ban Alcoholic Energy Drinks, Sen. Says
They should just have a "DO NOT BE STUPID WITH THIS PRODUCT" sticker on all products.
:scratchs:
-
Bubbles
- The Green Bastard

- Posts: 4357
- Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
- Location: Canada
- Contact:
Re: FDA Will Ban Alcoholic Energy Drinks, Sen. Says
andriaSRH wrote:I'm on the fence about this. It seems kinda..I don't know..fucked up that they ban CERTAIN alcoholic beverages but not all.
What about the man who beats his wife after drinking?
Or the teen who kills a family of four while drunk driving?
:/

-
SpRi7e
- Ganja God

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:48 am
- Contact:
Re: FDA Will Ban Alcoholic Energy Drinks, Sen. Says
hahahaBubbles wrote:andriaSRH wrote:I'm on the fence about this. It seems kinda..I don't know..fucked up that they ban CERTAIN alcoholic beverages but not all.
What about the man who beats his wife after drinking?
Or the teen who kills a family of four while drunk driving?
:/
4 loko = alcohol on steroids.. there's a way better chance of that shit happening on 4 lokooo
Peace Not Greed.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users