"medical marijuana"

Have any news that needs publishing, or want to comment on a current article? Post here

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Dr. Greenthumb
Stoned Immaculate
Stoned Immaculate
Posts: 8112
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:17 pm
Contact:

"medical marijuana"

Post by Dr. Greenthumb »

Oregon
-------
Medford police Lt. Tim George remembers the good old days when a cop could simply chop down a marijuana plant and ask questions later.

Now, eight years after medical marijuana became a reality in Oregon, the line between right and wrong has become somewhat murky, George said.

"You ask any dope cop in Oregon about medical marijuana and they'll laugh you out of the room," he said. "There are probably some scenarios where people really need it for things such as glaucoma or cancer, but we have people with symptoms such as 'chronic pain' that are clearly taking advantage of the act."

George criticizes the Legislature's raising the amount of medical marijuana a card holder can possess. It is now legal for a user to have 24 ounces of usable pot, six mature plants and 18 seedlings.

"That's more than one person can smoke in a year," George said, laughing.

Jackson County ranks third in the state in the number of medical marijuana card holders, according to state statistics.

In fact, Jackson County's 1,038 card holders are not far behind higher populated counties such as Lane ( Eugene ), with 1,379, and Multnomah ( Portland ), with 1,838.

Those numbers look to climb as the state received 5,579 new applications for marijuana cards between July 1, 2005, and June 30 this year. Also, medical marijuana advocacy clinics such as the Southern Oregonians Helping Ease Medical Problems ( S.O.H.E.M.P. ) advertise themselves in local classifieds, promising that a licensed physician will help people with documented ailments qualify for cards.

The fallout from this, George said, is a bump in crime surrounding medical marijuana users in recent years.

"We've had five recent burglaries reported to us where the suspects broke into homes looking to steal medical marijuana," said Medford Detective Sgt. Tim Doney.

Considering a pound of marijuana can fetch between $1,500 and $2,500 on the street, it is a profitable target for burglars, George said.

Jackson County sheriff's Detective Sgt. Colin Fagan said the motivation for most medical marijuana burglaries -- including Tuesday's robbery in which four men bursting into a Talent home and stole medical marijuana at gunpoint -- is money.

"It's fairly common for us to receive reports of marijuana rip-offs," Fagan added. "And I can assure you that there are people with cards that are making a profit selling their excess marijuana."

Both George and Fagan described how tough it is for cops to navigate the gray area created when marijuana went from being illegal in all cases to legal in a select few.

Sheriff's detectives recently worked a case where marijuana plants were found growing on property belonging to Boise Cascade in White City. It turned out the pot belonged to a man with a medical card who apparently didn't know you had to grow it on your own property.

"So there are times when law-abiding people are put into peril when marijuana is found on their property," Fagan said. "And most district attorney's don't see the use in prosecuting people who grow too many plants or place them where they shouldn't. It's hard to go after someone suffering from a disease who may need it for treatment."

Fagan said most cops have learned to focus their energy on larger grows run by drug cartels.

"If they're going to treat it like a prescription drug, then they should dose it out from pharmacies," George added. "I'm not cold enough to think that there aren't people who really need it, but the way it's being handled now simply makes it more accessible on the street."

MEDICAL MARIJUANA DILEMMA
by Chris Conrad, Mail Tribune, (Source:Mail Tribune)
“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”
-Charlie Kelly
Gorecore
Weedguru Grampy
Weedguru Grampy
Posts: 4115
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Post by Gorecore »

George criticizes the Legislature's raising the amount of medical marijuana a card holder can possess. It is now legal for a user to have 24 ounces of usable pot, six mature plants and 18 seedlings.

"That's more than one person can smoke in a year," George said, laughing.
That's funny. I don't know how much weed I 'could' smoke in a year but I'm sure I'd have a hell of a lot of fun trying to smoke all of that in a one year period.

I think I'd have to quit my job though!

"Uhhh, boss? This is Keith. Yyyyyeahhh I think I'm not coming to work this year. I've got an truckload of pot that needs to be smoked."[/quote]
Image
User avatar
FIRE!!!
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 4564
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Deep South FL
Contact:

Post by FIRE!!! »

If you don't count the plants I could easily smoke 24 ounces in a year...that boils down to 2 ounces a month, a half ounce a week, pretty much 2 grams a day. If you can't smoke 2 grams a day then you're a fucking pussy and you deserve to be told so.
Weedguru_Falkon
King of Kannabis, God of Ganja
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:59 am
Location: Stoned Soliloquy
Contact:

Post by Weedguru_Falkon »

Gorecore wrote: "Uhhh, boss? This is Keith. Yyyyyeahhh I think I'm not coming to work this year. I've got an truckload of pot that needs to be smoked."
Hahaha. Boy wouldnt that be fun to tell your boss :roll: :lol:
Image
Ikku wrote:I personally don't find it to taste plasticy, I think it tastes good. Like fractally flowery hyperspace.
President Beavis
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:18 am
Contact:

Post by President Beavis »

WhiteLie wrote:If you don't count the plants I could easily smoke 24 ounces in a year...that boils down to 2 ounces a month, a half ounce a week, pretty much 2 grams a day. If you can't smoke 2 grams a day then you're a fucking pussy and you deserve to be told so.
Exactly.

I know way too many paranoid, puss-tastic people who just take a few hits and pull the "dont wanna get caught" line or "I wanna conserve the greens". :roll:

It doesn't get fun until you're nearly finished that second blunt. :o When I pick up my 1/4 pound, no one who can't handle their smoke will get in on it.
President Beavis
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:18 am
Contact:

Post by President Beavis »

double
lol999
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 441
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:51 pm
Contact:

Post by lol999 »

two bowls a day..hmm i wuld like to smoke AT least two bowls when im tokin for the first time that day... all in all i like this article .. i hope more states will leaglized medical marijuana minus the break ins and the increase in volience..but we wouldn't have that problem if it was legal in general
smoke blunts
User avatar
FIRE!!!
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 4564
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Deep South FL
Contact:

Post by FIRE!!! »

President Beavis wrote:
WhiteLie wrote:If you don't count the plants I could easily smoke 24 ounces in a year...that boils down to 2 ounces a month, a half ounce a week, pretty much 2 grams a day. If you can't smoke 2 grams a day then you're a fucking pussy and you deserve to be told so.
Exactly.

I know way too many paranoid, puss-tastic people who just take a few hits and pull the "dont wanna get caught" line or "I wanna conserve the greens". :roll:

It doesn't get fun until you're nearly finished that second blunt. :o When I pick up my 1/4 pound, no one who can't handle their smoke will get in on it.
(Y) I like your style man!
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users