Hip Hop or Rock?

A place to discuss deeper topics

Moderator: Moderators

Which one is where it's at?

Hip-hop
19
38%
Rock
31
62%
 
Total votes: 50

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted
Posts: 7747
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:19 pm
Location: Home of the Sioux!
Contact:

Post by cutthecashflow »

Rock. But only classic rock for me baby. The tunes are just so there to put you in the mood while baked. I mean tom petty, led zepplin, the doors, jimi hendrix, steppenwolf, the who, eagles. These are just great. O ya kronix i checked out twisted method there not to bad either. My favorite one is inside out.
Get busy living or get busy dying.
User avatar
Skwerl_Butt
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:44 pm
Location: You know where California is??..Yeah, well, I live no where near there
Contact:

Post by Skwerl_Butt »

the only problem with that is that there's no categorisation with it... I just hate certain types of music no matter how skillful it is or whatever... I hate a lot of rock music because the songs are stupid, it's really wussy shit or any other reason, but some songs i like even though they're in a category i hate/dislike... take Rock DJ by Robbie Williams, I reckon that song is awesome and it's pretty well pop (which i hate), and that Outkast song Heya or whatever it's called is definately not the sorta music i listen to but I love that song too... i just cant stand some styles AT ALL tho
I understand what you're saying :wink:



I like a couple songs from Beyonce... :?
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid175/p358a9a70c2270c3bf723e8751bbcc292/f378b808.jpg[/img]
The curious orange
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:57 am
Contact:

Post by The curious orange »

i voted rock, cus i think rock can be related to more (well for me anyway) i hate the really hard stuff thou like slipknot etc, my little sis is into that crap and i have to hear her listning to it everyday :?
ei ei ei ei ohh, up the football league we go!
User avatar
Natcho
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:58 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Natcho »

Hip-Hop for sure. Rock isn't nice to listen to when stoned. I agree that some modern hip-hop is bollocks but you've got to listen to the right stuff as with any genre of music, I bet there is some rock which really sucks too. No music is better or worse just depends on your taste, some of DJ Shadows Trip-Hop is so nice to listen to when baked, TRUST. Mongrel or Organ Donour just trips you out when your mashed. :D
User avatar
Tlicious
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 2062
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:12 am
Location: Your Closet
Contact:

Post by Tlicious »

Weedguru Caro wrote:nah man, I picked hip hop because ever since I started listening to beats it has just sounded better to me, and I have come to realize that I don't like the electric guitar, at all.

Sure the beats sound good and all, but do you like what the artist is saying when the track is non-instrumental?
[img]http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/30544.gif[/img] Thè $h®ººm$ dºñ'† lîè :)
User avatar
street pharmacist
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:59 pm
Contact:

Post by street pharmacist »

Hip-hop is only where it's at becuase of everyone trying to be cool...well at least in my school(that wasn't meant to rhyme). It's not my fav. though Both are good but they've both got their ups and downs.
Funk Doctor
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 6636
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:24 pm
Location: Above the clouds

Post by Funk Doctor »

Mainstream "hiphop" isn't hiphop at all in eyes, it's pop music. Music for the masses. Music aimed at 13-16 year old suburban kids trying desperatly to be cool by buying 50 Cent, Ja Rule, Nelly and other crap.

70% of the hiphop I listen to is meant to make you think about life, death, love, hate, politics and more deeper stuff. Gangstarr, Mr. Lif, Dizzee Rascal, Starflam, Non Phixion, Cannibal Ox and the likes. Stuff that triggers actual discussions, not yapping about how rich they are, what car they drive and what bitches they fuck.

25% is hiphop that just makes me feel good. Stoner stuff. RJD2, Redman, Madlib, N*E*R*D*, ... Stuff that allows me to puff a joint, lay down on my bed/couch and drift away.

5% is a mixture of tracks from various artists that I don't usually listen to, except for one or two catchy songs. I liked In Da Club by 50 Cent, From Tha Chuuch To Da Palace by Snoop and so on.
User avatar
Tlicious
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 2062
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:12 am
Location: Your Closet
Contact:

Post by Tlicious »

50 cent thinks that he is so superior compared to everybody else, but he doesnt have his own label so he really isn't :roll:
[img]http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/1/30544.gif[/img] Thè $h®ººm$ dºñ'† lîè :)
spanaman
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:23 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Post by spanaman »

Rock is too broad a category. I'm into loads of metal and hardcore mostly. Stuff like Botch and Isis. Which aren't exactly household names.

I like a lot of dub and drum and bass as well though 8)

Hip-hop died in about 1995 I reckon...
GodHand Kronix
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 3191
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:36 am
Location: Cape Coma
Contact:

Post by GodHand Kronix »

First of all, I don't care how many fucking teenyboppers listen to him, Snoop Dogg will never be lame or fake or anything like that. Hands down. Just no. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. NO.

Second of all, Redman is PIMP 8)
RIP Andrew James Howard
June 9, 1982
September 16, 2005
I love you man..
User avatar
Copp_A_Squat
Casual toker
Casual toker
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:54 am
Location: Malton/Mississauga,Canada
Contact:

Post by Copp_A_Squat »

just because you don't have your own label doesn't mean your not all that
50 is the best thing in hip-hop and most music all together. He does sell alot of albums to lil-kids. But i still vote rock. Hip hop is gettin played out, its alot of a the same over and over again. Bitchs, hoes, pimps and 22's with a sick as beat. Any beat by timberland, lud or the neptunes goes #1. In rock it just seems they try harder and care about the albums they make more. will thats enough out of me.
"BIG UPS to pirates! ARRGH"
"You know they call then fingers but i never see them fing...... oh there they go." - Otto of the Simpsons
weedguru tom
← i ♥ weed →
←  i ♥ weed  →
Posts: 7448
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:11 pm
Contact:

Post by weedguru tom »

shit 'rock' pwned hip hop bs haha
the mac
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:51 am
Location: Victoria BC Canada..
Contact:

Post by the mac »

Trance wrote:50 cent thinks that he is so superior compared to everybody else, but he doesnt have his own label so he really isn't :roll:
Did tupac run his own label? naw but he was Damn Good.
Did Biggie smalls? nope. but again a nother dope rapper.
how bout the underground Andre Nickatina? does he run his own label? no he doesn't. Neither does 50 but hes good.
One of the Greatest record labels ever was run by someone who didnt rap.
Death Row Records.

i didnt vote. i think shit like ja rule, like chingy, and fabulous and shit like that is hip hop i dont consider rappers hip hop.. i consider them rap because i see rap and hiphop as totally differant i dunno why, i just do.
[size=109]I get high cuz fuck it whats better to do and ima [u]Never[/u] give a fuck cuz im better then you.[/size]
eazeyo
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:34 am
Location: NY
Contact:

Post by eazeyo »

Rock. Hendrix and Floyd> you

But i like a lot of hip hop too. Outkast, rjd2, etc.
[img]http://friend.outeraspects.com/dudestuff/Image236.jpg[/img]
User avatar
Midnight_Toker69
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 7:55 pm
Contact:

Post by Midnight_Toker69 »

I used to only listen to Rap & Hip Hop (a small amt of rock at the time) now the tables have completly turned....I listen to pretty much ONLY music with guitar (weather its Our Lady Peace or Killswitch Engaged or Jimi Hendrix. As long as it aint country). I totally respect drummers and guitarsts, because I play the drums (comes really easy to me) and I'm learnin guitar (a bit more difficult). And to be able to come up w/ the stuff they do...wow :shock:
Rap, I still do like, cuz like..I don't like the gay ass shit thats just jibberish, but if the lyrics actually have a meaning, I'm all for it.
But no matter what, I gotta stay true to my roots...grew up listenin to rock..then forsome reason switched to the TOTAL darkside at like..age 12-13 (Pop :shock: :shock: :shock: ) ventured to rap, now at rock and stayin there too 8)
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users