Anyone ever watched those kind of programs where someone traces back their family history? It's been something that I've always wanted to do myself, but when i was watching them, i noticed that most of the time the people who were doing it were only able to obtain family trees, places of births, occupations and the likes and generally all they really got to find out was the basics as far as i could tell, then they basically had to piece together info and create their own ideas about what their descendants were like.
Now can you imagine that instead of just finding out, say for example, that your great-grandfather was a war dodger, and having to assume that he had the morale and just mindset that he couldn't partake in murder, imagine being able to read his own accounts of why. What he had to do exactly to avoid it, the risks, the hiding, the countries that they had to move to etc etc. Knowing they played in the local football team, or reading their own account of how passionate or not they actually were about the sport; the people they have met who have changed them, and why they made such an impact; the epiphanies they went through and when they had them.
There is so much more that an autobiography or diary could give to someone who was interested in their family's past, probably little to say maybe a living relative, but to ones down the line when, who knows, times have changed and the outlook of the world has also. Has anyone else ever considered this, or even not for this reason, but does anyone have any diary that they keep a record of things, besides keeping it all up there in the old memory box part of the brain. I don't myself, but for the first reason i'd like to, but possibly, maybe there is some sort of egotistical side to it that i always want to be remembered. Although, that's me just thinking negatively about it, but in a good way, in the sense that if it is, then i may not decide to write it. I mention that because years ago our school brought in some guy to give a motivational speech and he told us all to ''think negatively, and act positively.'' This for me was like one of those epiphany moments for myself that i would be able to include in the book and be read by someone interested in his great-great-grandfathers past (all being my seed sows that far).
My plan, that i've only just constructed today, is to write it as an autobiography, as i don't own a diary, and neither would i want to to be honest. I'd write it in parts, an Intro/Background descriptive part, Life at 21, Life at 40, Life at 60, and then maybe 70 depending on whether i felt like i could make it to 80 or not... i mean ye never know do ya. A thought just went into my head there now, and i decided that i'd probably prefer to keep it a secret, so i couldn't write it, despite the fact that i'd prefer it to be written, so i'd probably have to type it, although yeah that'd be better for makin changes and stuff........ok, so that went slightly off track, but i'd probably call this document 'Instructions' cus know one will read it....... Anyways whatye reckon? would youse do it yourselves?
Autobiography / Diary
Moderator: Moderators
-
leprechaun
- Bonghead

- Posts: 457
- Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:33 pm
- Location: Co. Antrim
- Contact:
Autobiography / Diary
Four star familiar.


-
Ikku
- Sir Toke-a-lot

- Posts: 2687
- Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:12 am
- Contact:
Re: Autobiography / Diary
Dude I've often thought about putting my thoughts and outlook down for posterity to read, probably just within my family. Although I think I've had some crazy things happen to me and some crazy realizations that I think would be valuable for anyone to read, I just don't think I would write it well enough for broad appeal. I do wish I had been keeping some kind of diary, because I've thought about this kind of thing since I was 14 or 15. And back then, I was a dumb kid who thought he had the world figured out. It would be interesting at least for me personally to look back on and reflect. I may just start doing it now and see how I change over the next 10 years or so.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.
- omnific.dc
- Herbal Assassin

- Posts: 658
- Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:30 am
- Location: ..not home.
- Contact:
Re: Autobiography / Diary
in Australia they got a tv programme of this. Found out that back in the day Vaughan specialize in wine. French name. Totally agree.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users