Rain on your side windows

A place to discuss deeper topics

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Rain on your side windows

Post by WeedGuru_Flow »

Alright so yesterday night me and my two best friends Kenneth and Koen went to Tilburg in Holland to stack up on weed.

Now when we were en route back to Belgium this huge ass thunderstorm broke out, heavy rain was pouring down while I was on the freeway and Koen got fascinated by the stream of water on the side window going UP instead of down.

We were stoned of course.

So we were discussing what caused this weird movement, of course aerodynamics were involved, I personally think the wash from the wind blowing on the windshield is being forced to the left and right side of the car and then creates a vortex around the corner, thus forcing the water on the side windows to form into a stream on the upper side of the window going upwards.

Koen was convinced it had something to do with the airflow around the side mirrors.



so what do you guys think?
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.
SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1549
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:20 am
Location: Where gravity no longer exists
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by SToNeR ChRiS »

Before Higher looks up the scientific details, I'd have to say that the answer lies somewhere within what you said. You were traveling on the freeway, so you were obviously going fast. The wind pushed the water upwards as a consequence like you said. Koen must have been higher than you, because I really doubt that it had anything to do with the side mirrors.
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...
Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by Bubbles »

i think the side mirrors created an added turbulence in the wind to the normal one causing a slight upwards draft. or you guys were just so high that you thought it was going up instead of down
Image
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by WeedGuru_Flow »

No it was definitely running upwards, Koen's convinced it's the side mirror's protruding from the car that causes a sort of vortex with a lot of lift causing water on the side windows to run upwards instead of downwards.


And we were all about the same 'height', but I was driving the car so I guess I had to keep my mind to it a bit more :p
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.
weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 6562
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:07 pm
Location: south
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by weedguru_animal »

I am far too concerned with how Nature affects the risk levels of riding my two wheeled beast, to focus on cars, mate...and as the season is now changing here in melbourne, and the multitude of tram tracks, on some crossroads, up to 8 of the fuckers all crisscrossing, are becoming, whenever there is ANY RAIN, literally like thick lines of ice with a gap between any hope of traction, my mind is involved enough in making sure when I cross them, I do so without accelerating, and at an angle of the least possible wiggle...On a smaller machine, its easy to deal with, because i could put my feet on the ground if I started to go down, but on this r6, which has the torque of a cheetah in full flight of attacking a wilderbeest unfortunate enough to have separated from its gang, I have to be so damn careful...Wiggling on a top end sports bike, which should be banned from the roads, is not much fun...though I still love the rain. and will continue riding in the rain, because its the ONLY way to improve myself, as a rider...these fucking morons who only ride in the dry are lesser men, lesser riders, they do not ride like they mean it, and their skills cannot be improved, if they avoid any truly testing conditions.
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by WeedGuru_Flow »

I cannot say I have the experience of riding a motorbike, though I can imagine driving a bike through heavy rain is quite the experience.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.
Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Posts: 14620
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by Weedguru Higher »

Image

Image

:rofl:
Image
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by WeedGuru_Flow »

what the hell, why would someone do that?? the car isn't even waterproof anymore, and how did they manage to keep the structural integrity enough for it to ... ah,never mind, it's a crazy world!
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.
Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Posts: 14620
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by Weedguru Higher »

I just asked my mechanic girlfriend that question and the first thing she said was cause of the mirrors
Image
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by WeedGuru_Flow »

No way!

Any way she can test this? :p
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.
Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Posts: 14620
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by Weedguru Higher »

It's just her educated guess
Image
Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Posts: 14620
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by Weedguru Higher »

She asked what kinda car?
Image
(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 5762
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by (weedguru)scarf »

i believe that the air flow up over the bonnet of the car then runs past the mirrors and continually pushes up over the car..
not down... hence the water being pushed up by this air flow.
im looking for a picture to explain it
woah
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Rain on your side windows

Post by WeedGuru_Flow »

the car's a Ford Fiêsta model from '95/'96.

And yeah Scott, that's exactly what I was thinking, the air coming from the front blows straight into the curbed windshield and gets 'split up' in a left and right stream that creates a vortex where it curls around the left and right sides of the car, forcing water on the side windows to flow upwards.


It's this model, but with side mirrors :p

Image
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users