Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Have any news that needs publishing, or want to comment on a current article? Post here

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Posts: 14620
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by Weedguru Higher »

Pot comics Cheech and Chong roll out new film
Steve Gorman
LOS ANGELES
Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52pm EST

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian Cheech Marin, one-half of the most famous pot-smoking duo of the 1970s, lent his celebrity to a medical marijuana convention that opens on Friday in Los Angeles, and used the occasion to plug a new movie.


The documentary of Marin's reunion last year with his longtime partner, Tommy Chong, for their first tour in over 25 years, is set for release by the Weinstein Co. in theaters, on DVD and video-on-demand on April 20, a studio spokesman said.

The release date, 4/20, corresponds not so coincidentally to the numerical code widely recognized within the cannabis subculture as a symbol for all things marijuana.

Posters for the "Light Up America" movie bear the tagline: "Their first joint venture in 25 years."

Marin, 63, appeared at the L.A. Convention Center on Thursday for a news conference promoting HempCon 2010, a three-day conference touted by organizers as the first such gathering devoted to the medical marijuana industry.

Organizers said at least 40,000 tickets to the event have been sold, about double the advance sales for the 30th anniversary "Star Wars" convention in Los Angeles in 2007.

Marin said he supports "across-the-board" legalization of pot with restrictions similar to those for alcohol.

"It's a movement whose time has come. It's inevitable," he said. "Society since the Bible has needed a socially acceptable intoxicant, and here it is. This has been our drug of choice. It's ... much healthier, has more benefits than alcohol."

Chong, 71, did not make it to the news conference, though he had been expected to attend. Marin said he was absent due to a death in the family.

The two performers became one of the most successful comedy teams of the 1970s with an act based on their brand of pot-influenced humor. After their reunion, they returned to the road this year for a follow-up tour dubbed "Get It Legal" -- an homage to the movement for liberalization of marijuana laws.

Cannabis advocates recently collected more than enough signatures to qualify for November's ballot with a proposal to make California the first U.S. state to legalize possession and cultivation of pot for recreational use.

California led the nation in 1996 by approving the use of cannabis for medical purposes and enacted a law in 2003 allowing the drug to be cultivated and distributed to prescription-holding patients through nonprofit collectives.

But a public uproar was sparked in Los Angeles over the proliferation of hundreds of medical marijuana dispensaries after the Obama administration halted federal raids on the clinics last year.

Last month, the City Council voted to shut down most of the facilities. Medical marijuana proponents have vowed to challenge the ordinance in court and to seek to overturn it with a local ballot measure later this year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61I10N20100219
Image
Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by Bubbles »

i have no idea what this post is about.

but cheech n chongs animated movie is going to be awesome
Image
weedguru_waffles

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by weedguru_waffles »

funny of you to post this, I was talking to someone at work about cheech & chong... :) And the person seemed so surprised that I know them... because they are from the 70s haha... and then we ended up listening to some of their songs haha. I love my job!
weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 6562
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:07 pm
Location: south
Contact:

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by weedguru_animal »

I quite liked Up in Smoke...mainly because Chong looked just like my best mate's old man...but the other films of the series were atrocious.
Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Posts: 14620
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by Weedguru Higher »

I've never actually watched any of the cheech and chong movies :oops:
Image
weedguru_waffles

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by weedguru_waffles »

Weedguru Higher wrote:I've never actually watched any of the cheech and chong movies :oops:
watch up in smoke... it was alright. The other ones are pretty bad.... I haven't seen them all though...
TmD
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by TmD »

there all fun to watch blazed out of your skull though ;-D
Fresh till Death
weedguru_waffles

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by weedguru_waffles »

TmD wrote:there all fun to watch blazed out of your skull though ;-D
I think that's the only way I watched them hahah
Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by Bubbles »

weedguru_animal wrote:I quite liked Up in Smoke...mainly because Chong looked just like my best mate's old man...but the other films of the series were atrocious.
get stoned and watch nice dreams, that one is also pretty hilarious :D
Image
SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1549
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:20 am
Location: Where gravity no longer exists
Contact:

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by SToNeR ChRiS »

Nice find.... I've only seen Up in Smoke and Still Smokin'... I'd love to see the whole series though.
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...
weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 6562
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:07 pm
Location: south
Contact:

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by weedguru_animal »

I wouldn't advise it, Chris, unless you are a SERIOUS fan...because in their other efforts, I found the humour only suitable for retarded 12 year olds...but what the hell eh? maybe that's just me.
wgToonces
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 2777
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 8:57 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by wgToonces »

I liked Still Smokin' and Up In Smoke, I can kind of remember Nice Dreams but I can't remember much, must've been fucking blitzed :stoned2:

But the first two really are hilarious when you're "that" type of stoned.
:scratchs:
Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Cheech and Chong roll out new film

Post by Bubbles »

weedguru_animal wrote:I wouldn't advise it, Chris, unless you are a SERIOUS fan...because in their other efforts, I found the humour only suitable for retarded 12 year olds...but what the hell eh? maybe that's just me.
thats what we become when we smoke :)
Image
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users