Nostradamus

A place to discuss deeper topics

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Midnight Toker
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:55 pm
Location: England

Nostradamus

Post by Midnight Toker »

What do you guys think about Nostradamus? Insightful prophet or an over rated Mystic Meg?

In my opinion, the guy was nothing but a guy who wanted to be remembered. He was admittedly a remarkably intelligent man, but a prophet? I think not.

All predictions were far to vague to be considered legitamate. Alot of people say ''Wow, what an incredible guy, look how many of his prophecies have come true'' but think about all the ones in there haven't happened. Have you seen the size of that book? Pages upon pages of unspecific predictions, of course a few of them have come true. I could so the same thing, does that make me prophet?

While it's true a signifcant number of the quatrains have come true, there are never any definate predictions, never any timescale given, never any explicit details. For Example;
Two towers will be hit by a flying object
People say that this must be refering to the Twin Towers tragedy, failing to consider that this could be any two towers, at any time, hit by any object.

Another example;
Beasts ferocious from hunger will swim across rivers:
The greater part of the region will be against the Hister,
The great one will cause it to be dragged in an iron cage,
When the German child will observe nothing.
People say that this is refering to Hitler, but you see how vague it is? It is purely coincidental that something along these lines took place, it's just another case of people reading far too much into their literature (like Shakespeare, but that's another rant entirely)

The universe is such that given enough time, anything and everything must happen. The book is now so widespread that it could never possiby be totally destroyed, there will always be a copy somewhere. For this reason, it will remain for eternity, and these ''prophecies'' will continue to come true, further cementing his reputation as someone who could predict the future.

You can't predict the future, that's the beauty of life. You never know what's going to happen, that's what makes it interesting. No matter how certain something seem, there can always be remarkable twists in the tale. The suggestion that anybody can see past that is absurd, and frankly, mildy depressing if it were to be proved accurate.

Discuss.....
[img]http://img155.exs.cx/img155/7595/tillijk2ss.png[/img]

''I spent alot of money on booze, birds
and fast cars. The rest i just squandered.'' - George Best
Scratch
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:46 am
Location: inhale...exhaleee..
Contact:

Post by Scratch »

Nostradamus was full of shit.
The future however can bee predicted to an extent, not in complete detail, but some things can be predicted.
Midnight Toker
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:55 pm
Location: England

Post by Midnight Toker »

Scratch wrote: The future however can bee predicted to an extent, not in complete detail, but some things can be predicted.
Give me a for instance.
[img]http://img155.exs.cx/img155/7595/tillijk2ss.png[/img]

''I spent alot of money on booze, birds
and fast cars. The rest i just squandered.'' - George Best
Scratch
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:46 am
Location: inhale...exhaleee..
Contact:

Post by Scratch »

for instance, I was just playing basketball
I know my opponents, so I know what one guy will do if I move left for example, he moves to the right (stupid example, I'm too stoned to think of a better one). So, I predicted what will happen and it did. Knowledge allows you to see the truth and how things work. Once you know how things work, you know the mechanism, you know what will happen next. That's the basic principle. This is of course a short-time prediction, to make longer term predictions I would have to know more and be more intelligent.
Midnight Toker
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:55 pm
Location: England

Post by Midnight Toker »

Scratch wrote:for instance, I was just playing basketball
I know my opponents, so I know what one guy will do if I move left for example, he moves to the right (stupid example, I'm too stoned to think of a better one). So, I predicted what will happen and it did. Knowledge allows you to see the truth and how things work. Once you know how things work, you know the mechanism, you know what will happen next. That's the basic principle. This is of course a short-time prediction, to make longer term predictions I would have to know more and be more intelligent.
True, you can predict what is more than likely to happen, what will happen 9 times out of 10, but you can never know what is gonnna happen. You could go left and the guy could read the bluff, dummy right, then go left anyway. Long term it is even more difficult, impossible, in fact.
[img]http://img155.exs.cx/img155/7595/tillijk2ss.png[/img]

''I spent alot of money on booze, birds
and fast cars. The rest i just squandered.'' - George Best
Scratch
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:46 am
Location: inhale...exhaleee..
Contact:

Post by Scratch »

Ok, here's another example. I see an apple in the air, I know it's going to fall because of the gravity. And it's always going to fall. Ok, maybe not EVERY time, something can always happen, but lets say 999999999999999999999999 out of 1000000000000000000000000 times it will happen. Or even bigger numbers. So the chance for the apple not falling is basically insignificant. If a chance is insignificant it can be ignored.
Or, a gambling example. Roulette. If you play roulette, and there are 37 numbers on it, the chance that you will predict the outcome in the range of 3 numbers are impossible because of one main reason, you don't have enough perceptive power to realise the exact speed of the ball and the roulette. However, a couple of Serbian guys (Serbian pride ;)) went to Germany with this little machine built in their mobile phones which can count the speed of the ball and the speed of the roullette and it can predict in the range of 3 numbers. So they took a shitload of money.
Now, imagine someone (some autistic guy, like the Rain man or something like that) who has the ability to count the speed of the ball and the roullette. So you sit next to the guy and play roullette. You put your money on red, and he puts his money on the 3 numbers where he counted it will fall. Did he predict where it will fall?? Yes he did, and now he's really fucking rich, and you're starting to belive that things can be predicted :)
Midnight Toker
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:55 pm
Location: England

Post by Midnight Toker »

Ok, i just re-read your first post and realised i only caught the jist of it. I missed out the part about ''to an extent'' and ''not in complete detail'' With that in mind you are, of course, right. I was arguing a point you had already made :roll:
[img]http://img155.exs.cx/img155/7595/tillijk2ss.png[/img]

''I spent alot of money on booze, birds
and fast cars. The rest i just squandered.'' - George Best
Shwoot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:51 pm
Location: P.E., Canada
Contact:

Post by Shwoot »

I believe in it. About the Hitler thing, people think that Hister is a rendition of the name Hitler, or Nostradamus just couldn't speak very well.

And for the twin towers,

"In the city of York there will be a great collapse,
two twin brothers torn apart by chaos
while the fortress falls the great leader will succumb
third big war will begin when the big city is burning"

The third war hasn't started, but the other stuff seems pretty accurate.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/Pron88/mandyedt.jpg[/img]
Weedguru Anex
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1663
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:58 pm
Location: Clinging to the antlers of the midnight sun
Contact:

Post by Weedguru Anex »

war on terror?

LMAO. War on terror.

lol when I was 11 just starting high school we used to go to the library when it was raining cuz they wouldn't let us inside and someone found this Nostradamus book talking about a 17 year war starting in 2000, man I worried about that for ages :lol: Then I realised it was a load of toss like the bible code and sanscript etc. Half the """"translations"""" are convieniently made/miss-interpreted/just made up after the event.
weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 6562
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:07 pm
Location: south
Contact:

Post by weedguru_animal »

i havent read the whole official book he wrote with ALL his prophecies. What i have read is a book which outlines all his porhepcies that came true. Most of these prophetic statements he gave a century for/or group of people/or area, or maybe even all 3. I read this book until near the end, when i had got so disheartened by the accuracy of this mans predictions of events that took place yearsafter he had died, that i didnt want to read the last chapter which was all about his prophecies for the end of the world.

i think its a typically scientific approach to say 'everything will happen at some point' but from what i recall, many of his prohepcies were specific not vague, like the 3rd son of the 2nd arab kind will be born blind, shit like that which is not exact, not vague. of course.

i dont believe that everything will happen in time, for instance, will humans grow wings to be able to fly???will we learn how to breathe underwater like fish???will the p[resident of the united states continue to believe he owns and rules the world??????will gillingham win the champions league.
it just doesnt make sense to say everything will happen. we dont live ina world of limitless dimensions or do we?

i definately believe that there is much more to the passage of time than simply it happens and we are in it. way way too many genrations and cultures have verying levels of belief in magic and soothsaying/prohepcisisng whatver. so they were all wrong???i dont think so at all, i justthink that today we live in such a fucked up world that we are taught to believe only what scientists sya is possible and true, but since scientists dont cant even measure thoughts or feelings other than by physciological factors in the body heart rate incerasing, brain activity, i think that is impossible to say, without some uncertanity, that we are not capable of more than we currently accept right now in today fucked up world.
Funk Doctor
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 6636
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:24 pm
Location: Above the clouds

Post by Funk Doctor »

A lot of his so-called predictions are made up, he never said anything about towers getting hit or German children. His controversial image is what makes him prefect as spokesman for conspiracy fanatics.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users