Shoplifting
Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:03 am
I need some advice.
My 15 year old teenage daughter just recently became friends with the 17 year old daughter of a family friend that we have known for quite some time. Until yesterday, the two girls had never actually met, though they have been chatting on facebook and texting each other for a few months. Yesterday my daughter was invited to their house for a sleepover. I spoke with the family friends last evening and apparently the two girls really hit it off big time....they were having a blast together, and all was fine. Their plans for today were to go to the mall together. I picked my daughter up after the shopping spree, and all appeared to be fine. She showed me 2 shirts that she had purchased, saying that she used the remaining balance on the gift card she had received as a christmas gift. To me, everything was fine and dandy as usual...nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever.
A couple hours later the phone rings and it's our family friend, the mother of my daughters new friend. She starts of saying how happy she was that the two girls got along so amazingly well and so forth. However, next she says there's something serious she's got to talk to me about. Goes on to explain that after her daughter came back home from the shopping spree, she noticed that she was acting odd. She questionned her daughter and asked if something was wrong. Her daughter was reluctant to talk, and locked herself in her room. A little while later she came out of her room and asked her mother if a friend who shoplifts in a store, could be capable of stealing from their own friends. Her mother knew immediately that there was more , something else she wasn't saying. She badgered her daughter a bit more until she confessed. She told her mother that she witnessed my daughter shoplifting, and that my daughter told her she had done it before, on atleast one more occassion. She said she was reluctant to tell her own mother about it, fearing that it would ruin the new friendship. She didn't want to be the rat, but she couldn't hide it and have a clear conscience either. She is against stealing and was afraid of the consequences for both her at the time, and for my daughter after the fact and decided that she had no choice but to tell.
So as uncomfortable as it was her mother took it upon her self to call me and explain the situation. Not to bitch and complain about the issue, but to warn me. She said she would never have been able to sleep if she hadn't. As a mother of a teenager herself, she would have wanted to know and felt that I needed to know. But she emphasized the fact that I must not confront my daughter in a way that will let her know she was ratted on.
I appreciate this information greatly. I had no idea. No clue. Never would have guessed if I hadn't been told.
I checked the bag my daughter chucked in the garbage when she got home and lo and behold, there was a store receipt in the bag. There was one purchased billed, yet she has 2 shirts claiming she bought both. Though I am struggling to accept the fact that my daughter shoplifted, I do without a doubt believe everything her friend claims. I am extremely grateful that such information has come to my attention. But I am also extremely upset, worried, and unsure how to proceed.
How do I let my daughter know what I know without putting her friend on the spot? How can I put a stop to this before it's to late, before she gets caught? How do I go about approaching her about the matter? I haven't had any major problems with her up until now..she's a good kid. But she's made a bad decision. And I need to stop it before it's to late. But how? What the fuck do I do? What do I say?
I need some advice please
My 15 year old teenage daughter just recently became friends with the 17 year old daughter of a family friend that we have known for quite some time. Until yesterday, the two girls had never actually met, though they have been chatting on facebook and texting each other for a few months. Yesterday my daughter was invited to their house for a sleepover. I spoke with the family friends last evening and apparently the two girls really hit it off big time....they were having a blast together, and all was fine. Their plans for today were to go to the mall together. I picked my daughter up after the shopping spree, and all appeared to be fine. She showed me 2 shirts that she had purchased, saying that she used the remaining balance on the gift card she had received as a christmas gift. To me, everything was fine and dandy as usual...nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever.
A couple hours later the phone rings and it's our family friend, the mother of my daughters new friend. She starts of saying how happy she was that the two girls got along so amazingly well and so forth. However, next she says there's something serious she's got to talk to me about. Goes on to explain that after her daughter came back home from the shopping spree, she noticed that she was acting odd. She questionned her daughter and asked if something was wrong. Her daughter was reluctant to talk, and locked herself in her room. A little while later she came out of her room and asked her mother if a friend who shoplifts in a store, could be capable of stealing from their own friends. Her mother knew immediately that there was more , something else she wasn't saying. She badgered her daughter a bit more until she confessed. She told her mother that she witnessed my daughter shoplifting, and that my daughter told her she had done it before, on atleast one more occassion. She said she was reluctant to tell her own mother about it, fearing that it would ruin the new friendship. She didn't want to be the rat, but she couldn't hide it and have a clear conscience either. She is against stealing and was afraid of the consequences for both her at the time, and for my daughter after the fact and decided that she had no choice but to tell.
So as uncomfortable as it was her mother took it upon her self to call me and explain the situation. Not to bitch and complain about the issue, but to warn me. She said she would never have been able to sleep if she hadn't. As a mother of a teenager herself, she would have wanted to know and felt that I needed to know. But she emphasized the fact that I must not confront my daughter in a way that will let her know she was ratted on.
I appreciate this information greatly. I had no idea. No clue. Never would have guessed if I hadn't been told.
I checked the bag my daughter chucked in the garbage when she got home and lo and behold, there was a store receipt in the bag. There was one purchased billed, yet she has 2 shirts claiming she bought both. Though I am struggling to accept the fact that my daughter shoplifted, I do without a doubt believe everything her friend claims. I am extremely grateful that such information has come to my attention. But I am also extremely upset, worried, and unsure how to proceed.
How do I let my daughter know what I know without putting her friend on the spot? How can I put a stop to this before it's to late, before she gets caught? How do I go about approaching her about the matter? I haven't had any major problems with her up until now..she's a good kid. But she's made a bad decision. And I need to stop it before it's to late. But how? What the fuck do I do? What do I say?
I need some advice please