Maybe my first tattoo is happening soon

Sit down, skin up!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Gorecore
Weedguru Grampy
Weedguru Grampy
Posts: 4115
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Maybe my first tattoo is happening soon

Post by Gorecore »

I say "maybe" because it depends on a few factors.

There is a weekend long festival here in Halifax next weekend called "The Maritime Tattoo Festival". I won 2 passes to go from a local radio station. Not bad, considering the passes are $35.00 a piece. So my girlfriend and I are going.

The festival has dozens of tattoo artists from all over North America attending, as well as local artists. There will be vendors selling clothing, jewelery, and god knows what else. There will be live music, mud wrestling :D, food, beer, and lots of other stuff.

I've been dreaming of getting a tattoo for a very long time, and I feel this could be the right time to get one. I have an idea fleshed out and there are only a few things preventing me from getting one at the festival:

-Money. If what I want is too expensive, then it'll have to wait.
-Nerves. Getting my first tattoo in a crowded, noisy environment might not be the best idea. Or it could be a good way to distract me from any pain or panicked thoughts racing through my mind during the inking process.
-The ability to find an artist there that I trust and like their work, and get ensure they have the time to do it.

I've shared the idea on my Facebook page, but I'm gonna wait to share (and hopefully show you all) what I'd like to get done and where. If I do get it done, you'll see it sometime after May 23rd!
Image
(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 5762
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Maybe my first tattoo is happening soon

Post by (weedguru)scarf »

haha good luck man... im sure you wont have an issue with the pain... unless your planning on getting it done on your face? haha
so the rowdy place shouldnt be a problem... have a beer or two to calm the nerves... but probably not too many because i think most good tattooists wont do it if your drunk.

the only downside i guess is that you wont be able to suss out the artist very well...

i would guess abby could probably give you some more advice on this
woah
Gorecore
Weedguru Grampy
Weedguru Grampy
Posts: 4115
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: Maybe my first tattoo is happening soon

Post by Gorecore »

I learned from a friend that you have to have an appointment to get a tattoo at the festival. I thought you could just walk up to an artist's booth and say, "Hey, I'd like a tattoo, please!" Though, this friend said that she lucked out 2 years in a row when people with appointments didn't show up.

I'll still go to the show and maybe it'll give me a better idea of what tattooing is about. I've never watched anyone get a tattoo before.
Image
AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 4340
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 am
Location: Sarnia
Contact:

Re: Maybe my first tattoo is happening soon

Post by AbbyRoad »

i cant reallt give any advice about tattoo conventions, seeing as ive never had a chance to attend one :(

i would recommend going to the festival website and checking out some of the artists portfolios. that way when you get to the convention you will already have some booth in mind that you wanna check out. i can imagine the experience being slightly overwhelming, and personally i like to prepare myself against that feeling as much as possible.

i think getting a tattoo at a convention may be difficult to handle. like when im at the regular shop i get tattooed at i find i sit better if theres someone else getting tattooed the whole day with me, by another artist of course. but if the other artists are seeing several different people, who all brings friends, i tend to sit worse. but thats prolly cause i hate getting gawked at by tattoo newbs. at a convention that prolly wont be to much of an issue.

theres a big tattoo convention in Toronto the weekend after my birthday and my artist is going to be working at it. so i was thinking of going to my first convention and getting a short sitting done on my back, but the funds will not allow
Image
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users