Page 1 of 1
Rain on your side windows
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:14 pm
by WeedGuru_Flow
Alright so yesterday night me and my two best friends Kenneth and Koen went to Tilburg in Holland to stack up on weed.
Now when we were en route back to Belgium this huge ass thunderstorm broke out, heavy rain was pouring down while I was on the freeway and Koen got fascinated by the stream of water on the side window going UP instead of down.
We were stoned of course.
So we were discussing what caused this weird movement, of course aerodynamics were involved, I personally think the wash from the wind blowing on the windshield is being forced to the left and right side of the car and then creates a vortex around the corner, thus forcing the water on the side windows to form into a stream on the upper side of the window going upwards.
Koen was convinced it had something to do with the airflow around the side mirrors.
so what do you guys think?
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:44 am
by SToNeR ChRiS
Before Higher looks up the scientific details, I'd have to say that the answer lies somewhere within what you said. You were traveling on the freeway, so you were obviously going fast. The wind pushed the water upwards as a consequence like you said. Koen must have been higher than you, because I really doubt that it had anything to do with the side mirrors.
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:58 am
by Bubbles
i think the side mirrors created an added turbulence in the wind to the normal one causing a slight upwards draft. or you guys were just so high that you thought it was going up instead of down
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:34 pm
by WeedGuru_Flow
No it was definitely running upwards, Koen's convinced it's the side mirror's protruding from the car that causes a sort of vortex with a lot of lift causing water on the side windows to run upwards instead of downwards.
And we were all about the same 'height', but I was driving the car so I guess I had to keep my mind to it a bit more :p
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:35 am
by weedguru_animal
I am far too concerned with how Nature affects the risk levels of riding my two wheeled beast, to focus on cars, mate...and as the season is now changing here in melbourne, and the multitude of tram tracks, on some crossroads, up to 8 of the fuckers all crisscrossing, are becoming, whenever there is ANY RAIN, literally like thick lines of ice with a gap between any hope of traction, my mind is involved enough in making sure when I cross them, I do so without accelerating, and at an angle of the least possible wiggle...On a smaller machine, its easy to deal with, because i could put my feet on the ground if I started to go down, but on this r6, which has the torque of a cheetah in full flight of attacking a wilderbeest unfortunate enough to have separated from its gang, I have to be so damn careful...Wiggling on a top end sports bike, which should be banned from the roads, is not much fun...though I still love the rain. and will continue riding in the rain, because its the ONLY way to improve myself, as a rider...these fucking morons who only ride in the dry are lesser men, lesser riders, they do not ride like they mean it, and their skills cannot be improved, if they avoid any truly testing conditions.
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:21 am
by WeedGuru_Flow
I cannot say I have the experience of riding a motorbike, though I can imagine driving a bike through heavy rain is quite the experience.
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:04 pm
by Weedguru Higher
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:50 pm
by WeedGuru_Flow
what the hell, why would someone do that?? the car isn't even waterproof anymore, and how did they manage to keep the structural integrity enough for it to ... ah,never mind, it's a crazy world!
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:55 pm
by Weedguru Higher
I just asked my mechanic girlfriend that question and the first thing she said was cause of the mirrors
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:06 pm
by WeedGuru_Flow
No way!
Any way she can test this? :p
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:11 pm
by Weedguru Higher
It's just her educated guess
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:12 pm
by Weedguru Higher
She asked what kinda car?
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:42 pm
by (weedguru)scarf
i believe that the air flow up over the bonnet of the car then runs past the mirrors and continually pushes up over the car..
not down... hence the water being pushed up by this air flow.
im looking for a picture to explain it
Re: Rain on your side windows
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:46 pm
by WeedGuru_Flow
the car's a Ford Fiêsta model from '95/'96.
And yeah Scott, that's exactly what I was thinking, the air coming from the front blows straight into the curbed windshield and gets 'split up' in a left and right stream that creates a vortex where it curls around the left and right sides of the car, forcing water on the side windows to flow upwards.
It's this model, but with side mirrors :p
