Page 1 of 1

closing post. updates on the"PROUD PAPA"post.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:19 am
by Jimbo E
"cabbage heads",thats what I call them. These 4 plants are going nutz, they've been under 42w CFL's @ 2700 lumens a piece 2" away from the tops for 2 weeks & I'm pretty sure they are all 4 different strains of weed.But what I do'nt understand is why they do'nt seem to be getting tall very fast. The nodes are only about 1/4" at best away from each other & from soil to first leaves are maby 1 1/4",is this good? but, the leaves them selvs are probably 4"-6" from tip to tip & about 3/4" to 1" wide middle blades. These plants are "VERY HEALTHY" just not tall? My smallest one busted out with 7 point leaves on the 2nd set, so I guess it's all going pretty well. I just hope when flowering time comes these 25,500 lumens of florecent lights will make any size buds at all....can't afford the HPS's on this grow. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the "BUD"outcome might be of these 4 plants using these type of lights? I have 8- 42w CFL's as close as I can get them w/o burning the plants.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:38 am
by blazedsubaru
Pictures?

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:46 pm
by m3tal
Thats probably because your using CFLs. Switch up to HPS.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:24 am
by Psyclone
m3tal wrote:Thats probably because your using CFLs. Switch up to HPS.
CFL's are amazing for seedlings and baby plants up to 2-3 weeks old...the soft light makes it easy for the plants. HPS should only be used for flowering since the red/orange spectrum is what the plant needs...it simulates the fall sun.

wish I could!

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:38 am
by Jimbo E
I wish I had some HPS lighting for these but,I cant afford them right now. I was thinking about finding a place outside to finish their cycles but,if I was to try to flower them with these lights, will they even produce decent buds?maby if I was to try to give them some real sunlight during part of the 12/12 cycle the yeald might be a little better. I'm kinda worried about totaly trying to grow these from seed to harvest with CFL's although their is a 4' regular tube/ballest type lamp in my grow room along with these 8-42w CFL's...Is their any type of floro. tubes that might have the right spectrum for flowering?.....ps.wife has camera on vacation (no pics right now,maby later;sorry)

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:10 pm
by Psyclone
I really wouldn't recommend to keep switching the source of the light it gets...it can confuse the plant and stunt growth. Just go with the CFL's and save up for a HPS...by the time the plants are good to flower, I'm sure you will have $200 to spend on an HPS system.

maby

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:30 am
by Jimbo E
yea,I might just have enough...actually I saw an ebay add that had 400w HPS lamps for like $109 or somthing...I also might have a couple of freebie 400w highbay HPS's comming my way (you know, the kind of big lights hanging from a shop celing?)...but, if they are free they might just wrk. I have 8' celings in my basment so I have plenty of clearance. I'm also toying w/h the idea of buying a 125w HPS security lamp or 2 at lowes & making a reflector to fit it. I was actually fucking around and found some website where a guy was telling how to make them...it sounded really simple...just have to watch thoes fire hazzards! I'm kinda good with splicing wires & stuff so no prob for me to build though.here are my little ones after 16 days;CLICK :P Image
Image
Image
Image....the first one is my fave 8) WDYT :?:

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:27 pm
by weedguru+chrisisonfire
very nice , i like the last one! keep us updateD!

I will

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 pm
by Jimbo E
I'm gona try to get this entire grow on these posts. I moved the smallest one outside today. It was kinda just getting in the way & would wind up taking away light from the others. It's been getting warmer here in the southeast latly & I think were in for an early spring. I did layer leaves & straw around that outside plant to keep it warm & I'll bring it in if it gets too cold;full basment & all.maby it will make this plant stronger...this might just be a little experament leaving it out in late febuary :idea: :?:by the way the first one is my favorite, it has been the most helthy plant of all of them & why I called them "cabbage heads" because that one is kinda short but, just full of the widest leaves I have ever seen on a plant of it's age, kinda like growing a "head of cabbage" LOL :!: :lol:

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:16 pm
by $Bong$
What are the temperatures outside in your area this time of the year?

pretty mild

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:11 pm
by Jimbo E
here in GA it's been in the lower 40's to the 70's latly with a lot of rain. this plant may die but, it was really getting in the way & I just want to see how prolific these plants really are; IE...how cool of weather temp's can they withstand? I will probably need to get it in out of the rain though or it will deffenatly get too much H2O, I'll also be watching for another frost. I'll just have to get it out in the sun as much as possable & maby pull it under my covered deck & put a light on it on those rainy days. WDYT?...PS.go to PROUD PAPA for ferther updates on this grow.tnx.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:07 am
by $Bong$
Well, lasy year I experimented and put a few plants out early. For me 'early' was May 1st. Normally we can't plant untill late May early June. It was an abnormally warm year. My night and day temps were very similar to yours. All the plants survived and were sucessfully harvested. But. These plants were alot smaller than the other ones. I think the cold stressed them quite a bit and it stunted their growth. I was lucky I didn't get hermies. The leaves turned red and purple too

So yeah, t ideally you want the night temps to be warmer than that..but it's not impossible.

But you know, like everything else strain plays a big factor in this too though. Some are more cold resistant than others.

Watch that frost..

thats cool

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:45 am
by Jimbo E
I'm not too worried about this one anyway, I just wanted a 2 or 3 plant grow inside for personal smoke & the other 3 seem to be shaping up nicely, the one outside is about a week behind the others & alot smaller, so I'm going to concentrate my efforts on the 3 inside, which are doing great, I've been using organic fert.& they seem to love it. :D