Gateway Theory

A place to discuss deeper topics

Moderator: Moderators

KaliCoe
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:07 pm
Location: Kansas City, USA
Contact:

Post by KaliCoe »

this is what i think about the whole gateway theory...

weed is on the black market (so to speak) so when you buy weed off the "black market" you are introduced to every other drug on the "black market" cocaine, heroin, ect. ect. If weed were legalized and sold in stores where cigarettes and alcohol is sold what will you be introduced to when you by weed?, cigarettes and alcohol. How many times to you go to the store, buy alcohol and then get asked if you want to try some LSD? NEVER. The goverments ban on marijuana is the only reason it could even be considered a gateway drug, so next time somebody says "marijuana is a gateway drug" tell them it wouldn't be if it was legalized...
















... and tell them to suck it, fucking anti-weed dicks
FUCK SUBURBAN POLICE
grayhookups
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:02 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Post by grayhookups »

i think that ppl who choose to smoke weed in the begining are looking to get high if they didnt start with weed then wouldnt they be looking to get high still and possibly start off with coke or sumthin if u think from the most technical of senses than marijuana could be considered a gateway drug because it introduces ppl to other drugs but that is only because marijuana is essentialy at the bottom of the ladder in terms of "harshness"
everything is better when stoned....period
Captain
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:32 pm
Location: My room
Contact:

Post by Captain »

for me it was but thats just my circumstance. But now all I do is smoke pot so you can't blame the drug u can only blame the will power of the person
wgToonces
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 2777
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 8:57 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Post by wgToonces »

fuck it, if people want to do weed they do weed. its their own choice if they wanna do other drugs or not.

its only shit if people get pressured into smoking weed and doin other drugs but thats a whole different story.
:scratchs:
Pubehair
Casual toker
Casual toker
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Pubehair »

Weed is deffiantely not a gateway drug dude. Its all about youre control over the choices you make. If you are smoking weed and someone offers you some fucking cocaine or some stupid shit. Its all about your control to take it or not.
Pubehair
Casual toker
Casual toker
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Pubehair »

Weed is deffiantely not a gateway drug dude. Its all about youre control over the choices you make. If you are smoking weed and someone offers you some fucking cocaine or some stupid shit. Its all about your control to take it or not.
farmacyst
Casual toker
Casual toker
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: London, England
Contact:

Post by farmacyst »

Pubehair wrote:Weed is deffiantely not a gateway drug dude. Its all about youre control over the choices you make. If you are smoking weed and someone offers you some fucking cocaine or some stupid shit. Its all about your control to take it or not.
^^simple^^

and ive been around bigg dealers that are sellin crack n sht and i aint never strayed away from weed. I'm happy 2 say weed is the only drug ive ever smoked apart from experimenting with cigarettes (which i didnt enjoy) bak in school days......
"Viva La Revolucion" - Che Guevara

"The World Is Yours" - Scarface
Grrrl
Moderator
Posts: 1220
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:19 pm
Location: Manchester, uk
Contact:

Post by Grrrl »

If you mean does weed lead onto certain drugs, Idont think you can gerneralise that to everyone. Because some people r just happy with what they've had. In chronological order I did acid first, then pills, then weed. If anything I'd say it's a fall back drug, at least in my case. By a fall back drug, I mean when people with addictive personality's like myself, replace a more life destructive drug eg (pills) which summat less damaging to themselves like weed. But each to their own :) Just an opinion.
jah bless
Image
Me importa un pimiento...
Hatchetrunner420
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:14 am
Location: MD
Contact:

Post by Hatchetrunner420 »

It is a Crock of Crap...the only reason it leads to harder drugs is nothing at all w/ the chemical balance in your brain && all that bullshit...it's merely because a lot of Weed dealers sell other stuff too...as far as i'm concerned...IT WOULDN'T BE A GATEWAY DRUG IF IT WERE LEGAL!!!
Inhale/Exhale - I'ma Weed-A-Holic...Smokin till my Lungs Fail
Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 2687
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:12 am
Contact:

Post by Ikku »

I think it may lead to trying other things just because of the way it gets you thinking. "They told me weed was bad and it isn't...maybe they were lying about these other drugs" and you go and start doing something that actually is really harmful. Something like that.
andriaSRH
s†☼nër bi†ch
s†☼nër bi†ch
Posts: 6299
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:43 am
Location: welcome to the midwest
Contact:

Post by andriaSRH »

marijuana is a gateway drug in my opinon. but then again, so is every drug out there. people are always looking for a new kind of high. i don't think that it's the worst gateway drug though.
Gorecore
Weedguru Grampy
Weedguru Grampy
Posts: 4115
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Post by Gorecore »

In my foggy opinion I believe weed can lead to other drugs but it really depends on the person.

Speaking from personal experience, I think friends are a part of this elusive 'gateway' theory. The first time I tried weed and hash was because a friend had some and asked me to try it. I'm not saying if it hadn't been for that person that I would still be sitting here saying, "Gee, I wonder what it's like to smoke pot?" I can't see how someone could just out of the blue decide they're going to try pot for the first time. The influence has to come from somewhere and I'd say a huge percentage of the time that influence is from a friend or perhaps a relative.

Once a person has become quite comfortable with puffing on the mary jane, then they start to become a bit more curious as to what else is out there and available to them. I know on many occassions when I've had the money I've asked my dealer, "What else can you get me?" That's pretty much how I got into shrooms. I read about shrooming online and then had a short and small exerience with a neighbor as we shared a 1 gram cup of tea.

Does this mean I am going to progress further and start taking even harder drugs? In my heart I know that 'shouldn't' happen...but once again it's all a matter of choice. No one forces you to smoke that joint, pop that pill, or snort that line. In the end it is your choice.

I've never even seen real cocaine with my own eyes. However if I was at a party or concert or something where someone offered me a small line or two, I think I'd say "What the hell" and try it out. But I certainly don't sit at home at night and think about asking my weed dealer to hook me up with a gram of coke for shits and giggles.

I don't really agree that much with alcohol being a 'gateway' drug though. I agree that alcohol is most definitely a serious and addictive drug that has done more damage over the history of mankind than weed ever could. I think alcohol is more of a 'social' drug where anyone can consume it without being looked upon as a drug addict. Alcohol and CIGARETTES though...now that's a deadly combination if I ever saw one. How many people do you know that only smoke cigs when they're drunk?? Lots, right? Same here.

Shit...I sort of lost my train of thought here or where I was going with this post. I guess my point has already been stated by others in this topic. Doing one drug doesn't always lead to other drugs. It's all a matter of a person's choices...and even geography tends to alter your choice as well.

I think...I dunno. I'm rambling.
Image
farmacyst
Casual toker
Casual toker
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: London, England
Contact:

Post by farmacyst »

Gorecore wrote:In my foggy opinion I believe weed can lead to other drugs but it really depends on the person.

Speaking from personal experience, I think friends are a part of this elusive 'gateway' theory. The first time I tried weed and hash was because a friend had some and asked me to try it. I'm not saying if it hadn't been for that person that I would still be sitting here saying, "Gee, I wonder what it's like to smoke pot?" I can't see how someone could just out of the blue decide they're going to try pot for the first time. The influence has to come from somewhere and I'd say a huge percentage of the time that influence is from a friend or perhaps a relative.

Once a person has become quite comfortable with puffing on the mary jane, then they start to become a bit more curious as to what else is out there and available to them. I know on many occassions when I've had the money I've asked my dealer, "What else can you get me?" That's pretty much how I got into shrooms. I read about shrooming online and then had a short and small exerience with a neighbor as we shared a 1 gram cup of tea.

Does this mean I am going to progress further and start taking even harder drugs? In my heart I know that 'shouldn't' happen...but once again it's all a matter of choice. No one forces you to smoke that joint, pop that pill, or snort that line. In the end it is your choice.

I've never even seen real cocaine with my own eyes. However if I was at a party or concert or something where someone offered me a small line or two, I think I'd say "What the hell" and try it out. But I certainly don't sit at home at night and think about asking my weed dealer to hook me up with a gram of coke for shits and giggles.

I don't really agree that much with alcohol being a 'gateway' drug though. I agree that alcohol is most definitely a serious and addictive drug that has done more damage over the history of mankind than weed ever could. I think alcohol is more of a 'social' drug where anyone can consume it without being looked upon as a drug addict. Alcohol and CIGARETTES though...now that's a deadly combination if I ever saw one. How many people do you know that only smoke cigs when they're drunk?? Lots, right? Same here.

Shit...I sort of lost my train of thought here or where I was going with this post. I guess my point has already been stated by others in this topic. Doing one drug doesn't always lead to other drugs. It's all a matter of a person's choices...and even geography tends to alter your choice as well.

I think...I dunno. I'm rambling.
nah i think this is a well made point, i think cigarettes are more a gateway to other types of smoking than alcohol..... but in any case i dont believe in this term "gateway drug", a drug doesnt do anything in itself, a aperson does, and what they are influence by are other people/media etc, u cannot smoke weed and think out of the blue "i shud smoke crack", its the influence another person or medium has given you that would allow you to think along those lines...

even tho i do not want them to legalise it, if weed were not illegal it wud take away the criminal aspect to it and the friends that they cud say influenced you would therefore not hav exposure that they wud otherwise hav to more illicit drugs on the market.
"Viva La Revolucion" - Che Guevara

"The World Is Yours" - Scarface
Jay212
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 2352
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:51 am
Contact:

Post by Jay212 »

Weed is and isn't a gateway drug, it really depends on the person. The first drug I tried was weed because it's just so popular. Infact, I smoked my first joint with a complete stranger. I was walking to a bus stop to go to my friends house and there was a guy there smoking weed and he asks if I want some, I say yes and we smoke it together while waiting for the bus. If the guy would have had a pcp laced cigarette and asked if I wanted some, I would have said fuck no, because of all the stories I've heard about people killing themselves because of the crazy shit that happens.

My first times with any drug I've always started low doses, including weed. So in did use the weed as a gateway to ease myself into the world of drugs. That doesn't mean everyone does, though. Everyone is different.
If u aint from the hillz then homeboy lay it down ~ CWS
User avatar
Anti-FlagPUNK
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:39 am
Contact:

Post by Anti-FlagPUNK »

I think weed is a gateway drug, but its farther in the process then some lead to believe.

my reason for saying it is a gateway drug is: you arent going to try E first off, you are going to want to get high on something milder and get a grasp of what "high" is.

so technically it is a gateway drug, but only if you never planned to do heavier drugs in the first place.

if you started off wanting to do E, then started on weed and went up, then its not a gateway drug, its not leading you to do other drugs, you are leading it.
[img]http://show.imagehosting.us/show/1464698/0/nouser_1464/T0_-1_1464698.jpg[/img]
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users