Debating with a friend

Got a problem? - Get counseling from the gurus

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Substance G
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:58 am
Contact:

Debating with a friend

Post by Substance G »

So a friend of mine posted this in a blog of his.
After the AP psych exam a few friends and I went to eat out at a restaurant. My friend "Janie" happened to be there, and she was smacked as hell. I knew something was wrong mainly from her eyes, but I wasn't positive at first if I was right. Another friend confirmed it for me though, and assured me that she was definitely high. She ended up sleeping the whole time we were there.

It makes me so angry that my friends (some of them anyway) are so blatantly ignorant. It drives me insane. They continue their destructive habits, with or without the knowledge that it is going to ruin them. I have already mentioned this to a certain few people, but who cares? Its not like it makes a difference. I've posted blogs and messages, I've encouraged and I've gotten angry, but its not enough. I mean, if it was just excessive drinking, or even just smoking, I guess I would let it go. I wouldn't harp on it constantly. Still stupid things to do, but the line has to be drawn somewhere I guess. And what drives me more insane is how some of them are so casual about it. They think its funny. I don't see anything funny about it at all dammit.

I just don't understand. It may sound to some like I'm beating a dead horse here (is that the right phrase?) but why even do it? Why even start it? Do they view it as an escape from something? Because the reality is that it's providing them an escape route into a prison cell (i meant that figuratively, but just realized that it can be taken literally too). And dont give me this shit that I don't know what it's like to be you. That may be true, but nothing excuses throwing your life away for a few moments of euphoria.

There are so many alternatives of escape. Get a hobby. One that doesnt involve crack or a pipe. I don't care. Go skydiving. Go Scuba diving. Join a team. Become a volunteer. Help feed the hungry. The feeling from something like that can fulfill one in a way that nothing else can.

And you know what scares me the most? That something is going to happen to one of you because of this shit. That you are going to get smacked one day and wrap your car around a pole, or overdose on drugs and not get taken to an emergency room in time. That in ten years time, at the reunion for this year's seniors, I might ask, "So how is So and So? I haven't spoken with him/her in ages!!" And then I'll get a reply like "Oh...I'm so sorry to be the one to tell you....they overdosed and passed away a couple years ago."

But no, you people don't think about that. You think about where the money for your next fix is going to come from, or who you are going to get high with tonight. One day, you are going to look back on all the shit that you've smoked or shot up on or however the hell you all do it, and you are going to ask yourself if it was worth it. And I seriously doubt that the answer is going to be yes.
And I have a reply to it, but I'm not sure if it's too... well, just read it and tell me if it's a good response.
You are assuming that Janie will start trying harder drugs.

You are assuming that Janie will get high and drive.

You are assuming that smoking is all Janie does with her life.

Janie does well in school. Marijuana, tobacco, maybe alcohol are the only drugs she uses. Yes, I am aware that these are gateway drugs, and the fact that she does all three increases her chances of trying a harder drug, but I believe her when she says she will not, considering she is already cutting back on smoking.

You must not care for what I have to say because I know nothing can change your mind about the way you feel about drugs. I know how alcohol has affected your life, and I am sorry that it has. However, you can't always jump to conclusions about people. Keep in mind that there are many great singers who smoke marijuana. I'm not talking about Snoop Dogg, either. The Beatles, for example.

And that doesn't justify Janie's use, I am just showing you how the points you are making in your blog are at the extreme end.

Marijuana is not only for those who want to escape reality. I don't know Janie's reason, but the fact is, getting high is fun. It can be dangerous, but it can also be done responsibly, and that is reason enough for people to do it.

I am grateful that you are looking out for your friends, but especially at this point in their lives, allow them to experiment a little. I have learned about inhalants recently. Using an inhalant like DustOff is like playing Russian Roulette, it can kill you on the first use. That is something you definitely CANNOT fuck with. However, with marijuana, there is room for experimentation. FYI, you cannot overdose on marijuana.

And honestly, I believe sky diving and/or scuba diving is riskier than smoking marijuana.

Ten years from now when there is a reunion for this year's seniors and you say, "Oh, how is So and So? I haven't talked to them in ages!"
It's just as likely for you to get the response, "Oh, you didn't hear? They passed away in a sky diving accident."

"Oh, you didn't hear? They were hit by a car while walking to work."

"Oh, you didn't hear? They died of HIV/AIDS."

You don't get mad at sky divers, or pedestrians, or homosexuals. But shouldn't you?
:)
[url=http://www.howstrange.com/gallery/cat_rolling.gif][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/daginobino/Photo_0219.jpg[/img][/url]
User avatar
Dr. Greenthumb
Stoned Immaculate
Stoned Immaculate
Posts: 8112
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:17 pm
Contact:

Post by Dr. Greenthumb »

Why do you associate with such an idiot.
“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”
-Charlie Kelly
User avatar
mr green
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:18 pm
Contact:

Post by mr green »

just reading things like that get me angry,let me put on some bassman,right one thing YOU HAVE TO MENTION is this part:"I mean, if it was just excessive drinking, or even just smoking, I guess I would let it go" go all statistical on his ass,put shit like more people die from drinking then from smoking weed.

damn typing this shit is getting me angry!! :x

type something like,so you care more about her getting stoned and being happier then usual?So youd rather see her wasting her life and getting depressed,lazy and evetually dieing of bowl cancer/disease instead of smoking the occasional weed and enjoying herself??
"im sick of that fake thug,rnb rap scenario all day on the radio"

[img]http://www.imageuploading.com/ims/pic.php?u=10345iVlaV&i=63366[/img]
User avatar
danno_rollin_blunts
Bonghead
Bonghead
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 6:42 pm
Location: earlsdon coventry UK
Contact:

Post by danno_rollin_blunts »

i didnt even read all of what that fool put. my eyes were so teared up :cry:

it upsets me when people say how bad weed is with out even trying it. people like him should be put in shoe boxes.......tied up with pink string.........for a month..........with no electricity!!!!

if i met the fool i would sincerely give him a piece of my mind!!!and maybe a spliff!!!!
AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 4340
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 am
Location: Sarnia
Contact:

Post by AbbyRoad »

i cant really understand people like that. like smoking pot is my choice i know it harms me but i choose to do it anyways. there are miuch more harmful things out there. i totaly under stand somones fear of a freind getting all coked up or drunk driving but to be such an asshole about it instead of maybe being a sober drive in such occasions pisses me off.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users